Though I’m not much of a movie-buff, I watch the very few movies I watch with an intensity that I might end up marrying the movie. I love giving attention to tiny details, the subtle elements of screenplay, the significance of placements of certain dialogues, and every element in the frame that will make it more meaningful!
(And this has made me a very very bad person for movie-dates – 86% because of the movie and the rest 14% because of the butter popcorn)
In all these days of watching many movies, I’ve seen things that stand out in terms of screenplay, inclusion of the subtle elements that make the movie more meaningful and give some informed viewers an inexplicable sense of satisfaction.
One such film-maker who stands out when it comes to this particular aspect is KV Anand. I do not know what to attribute his penchant for detail to – his science-background, or his stint as a photographer-cinematographer, or his plain genius.
Maybe my thing for photography, physics and world-history has caught my eye:
- In the song ‘Rettai Kadhire’ of Maatraan, there is a family photo that’s clicked. For any director who wants to show a photo clicked in the late ’80s, Kodak or Konica would have been the obvious choice. But KV Anand chose to show Zenit, which is a proper Russki brand.
- In Ko, when Jiiva adjust the camera’s settings, he bumps up the ISO to 6400, which enables the photographer shoot in low light, albeit with grains. It gives a more believable reason for the pics to have been shot in the dark.
- In Kanaa Kanden, Srikanth covers his paper in white phosphorous and soaks it in water, and when Prithviraj takes it out, it starts to light up. It’s surely a nice way to deceive someone, as white phosphorous catches fire if it contacts oxygen.
I can go on and on about the importance that KV Anand gives to accuracy (though there are some insane slip-offs like Jiiva riding his FZ-S on the front wheels to get the elevation for photographing the Naxals!). I hope his film-making with his thing for accuracy, and reintroducing old heroes as suave villains, and considers ditching Harris Jeyaraj who makes just one song memorable per movie!!