Things to do in Chengalpattu
1) Enjoy a morning sunrise at Kolavai Lake, preferably from the railway overbridge.
2) Stand in the so-called queue and get breakfast from Mani’s cafe.
3) Play cricket in the scorching sun at the Medical College grounds.
4) Take a bike ride around Chengalpattu, covering the bye-pass. (Trust me…it’s as scenic as Ooty!)
5) Enjoy an early morning/late night coffee or tea at the tea shops near the new bus stand.
6) Take a dip in the palar river (If you’re lucky, you might find running water)
7) Put some kadalai with your crush/love at Ramar Koil premises and around.
8) Take a morning walk at the Medical College grounds. Feel young like the uncles and aunties around.
9) Relish on the local version of the Pani Puris that you’ll find at a stone-throw distance from anywhere in Chengalpattu.
10) Park your bike in the railway station between 8 AM and 10 AM, (or try taking your bike out between 5:30 PM and 7:30 PM)
11) Have badam fruit mix at TST (Nobody cares about the new name!)
12) Get lost in the Dussehra crowds, and treat yourself to appalam and other dussehra-exclusive stuff.
13) Attend a meeting in KRC Grounds, be it a Christian meet or an arasiyal meet; just for the fun of it.
14) Take an occasional visit to the Mahindra World City, and marvel at the fact that such a sophisticated place exists so close to Chengai.
15) Take a super-crowded town bus to go from the bus stand to Hospital. Get drenched in the rural scent of the people in the bus.
16) Watch the sunset from the Bye pass road.
17) Visit the fish market, bargain for the best rate and buy it all battling the stinks.
18) Have lime soda/sarbath/ginger in the nair shop near mani goondu.
19) Take a share auto from anywhere to anywhere, and pay only INR 5x (x<4).
20) Have dinner at the Vaigai/Nellai motels and experience authentic local Tamil Nadu tastes in the parotta varieties and egg-preparations.